fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: MRS JUDITH PETER <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 06:59:32 -0700
Subject: PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
I'm Mrs Judith Peters a Successful business Woman dealing with Exportation,
I got your mail contact through search in order to let you know my Ugly
Am a dying Woman here in Los Angeles California Hospital Bed in (USA),I
Lost my Husband and my only Daughter for Covid-19 in March 2020 I'm dying
with a cancer disease at the moment.
My Doctor open-up to me that he is Afraid to tell me my Condition and
inside me, I already know that I'm not going to survive and I can't live
alone without my Family on Earth.
I have a project that I am about to hand over to you. and I already
instructed the Heritage Bank to transfer my fund sum of $150 Million USD to
you, so as to enable you to give 50% to Charitable Home and take 50% for
Don't think otherwise and why would anybody send someone you barely know to
help you deliver a message, help me do this for the happiness of my soul.
Please, do as I said there was someone from your State that I deeply love
so very very much and I miss her so badly I have no means to reach any
Charitable Home there,that is why I go for a personal search of the Country
and State and I got your mail contact through search to let you know my
Bitterness and the situation that i am passing through.
Please help me accomplish my goal,ask my Attorney to help me keep you
notice failure for me to reach you in person.
The Doctor said I have a few days to live, please contact my attorney with
the following email address and phone number as soon as possible, I am
finding it difficult to breathe now and I am not sure if I can stay up to
Name Attorney Chaplain Upright
Please hurry up to contact my attorney so that he can direct you on how you
will hand over 50% of the $150,000,000.00 to Charity, i really want to
achieve that goal by helping the Charity organization before I die.
Mrs Judith Peters