fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- "email@example.com" (this email address looks like addresses used in "ATM SWIFT card" scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Office Notice Alert <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 12:49:16 +0100
Subject: YOUR ATM Card Instant Access Easy Payment- Reply Urgently Needed
United Bank For Africa PLC
57 Marina , Lagos Island, Lagos Nigeria
Chief Financial Officer.
ATM Head of Operation
US$10.5 Million, ATM mastercard Payment
Attention Bonafide Beneficiary:
I am Ugochukwu Nwaghodoh ATM Head of Operation Department UBA Bank,
I resumed to this office on the 30th of last Month and during my
last week I discovered an abandoned ATM Card valued sum of US$10.5
Million with card number 5321452123403456 belonging to you as the rightfully
intimate beneficiary as records shown that you are among one of the individuals
and organizations who are yet to receive their overdue payment from overseas
which includes those of Contract Payment, Lottery, Gambling and Inheritance
Payment From 2010 years ago till 2023 records. wish to pay through
means by ATM Card! you 've been identify by your mailing address attached with
your ATM Card right here on my desk, I tried to know why this card have not been
released to you but I was told that the former ATM head of operation
who left this
office two months ago withheld your card for his own personal use
that I will not approve or support him to take your card. now that
your ATM Master
card is still available for you to pick it up here in our office, I
want to know how you
wish to receive your ATM card along with your four digits access pin
You can come here in our bank to pick up your card direct from my
it can be sent to your address through any registered reliable courier
that you will take care of the courier charge only,note that we are
only using Fas Track
Delivery Services, FedEx Corporation Service, as it is the only
companies that we signed
contract with so we can actually monitor the delivery! I don't know
the cost of shipping
the card to you but if you permit me, I will go to the courier
shipping company to find
out the cost,in that case you will be require to forward to me your
details below;(Notice, Notice) be inform that the Customs Clearance
paper require has already been settled and secured by Authority Uba
guarantee Certificate original copy will be attach, to avoid delays,
with details below; to avoid any mistakes when shipping your ATM Mastercard,
Your Name in full...
Your City/Nearest Airport...
Your House Address:....
Your Attach ID or Driver's License
Your Marital Status.....
Your Private Phone Number...
Your WhatsApp Phone Number...
Your Company Name If Any.....
We shall be expecting to receive your information as you have to stop
communication with anybody or office.to enable find out the shipment
cost to your
location. And more details of your ATM
card payment will be made known to you as soon as I receive your swift positive
response, to enable you know the amount programmed for your ATM daily
Do call or text me on:+23490594441111 as soon as you receive this message. Email
office here below firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: If you received this message in your SPAM/JUNK folder, that is because
of the restrictions implemented by your Internet Service Provider, we urge you
to treat it genuinely,
Thanks For your anticipated co-operation and understanding. We will
serve You better,
Mr. Ugochukwu A. Nwaghodoh
Group Chief Financial Officer.
ATM Head of Operation,