fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Mr David Nicholas <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 08:19:56 +0100
Subject: IRREVOCABLE PAYMENT GUARANTEE
IRREVOCABLE PAYMENT GUARANTEE
Good news,The BRITISH and USA HIGH COMMISSION has actually verified
and discovered that your payment has been unnecessarily Delayed by
corrupt officials of the Company who are Trying to divert your fund of
$4,700.000.00 Million into their private accounts. Therefore we have
obtained an irrevocable payment guarantee on your Payment with the
Bank to make your payment through our new ATM VISA CARD system which
you can use to withdraw your money in any ATM MACHINE around your
So we are here by inviting you to our office to pick up your ATM VISA
CARD, but if you cannot be able to come down here in our office in
person be inform that you are going to pay for shipping fee of your
ATM visa CARD, so if you are unable to come down here then you are
required to update us so that we will proceed with the necessary
arrangement for the delivery of your ATM VISA CARD.
As of now be informed that all arrangement has been done and the ATM
VISA CARD has be in your name, but to RE-ACTIVATE the ATM Card you
have to forward your current information as requested below to the
bank for the ATM Card re- activcation, then we will send you the ATM
CARD for your immediate use.
Here are the information you have to forward to the bank:
1. Your Full Names:______
2. Postal Address:_______
3. Direct Cell Numbers:_______
4. A copy of your id card----------
Therefore you are advised to contact Bank accountant Manager Mrs.Susan Mark
CONTACT PERSON: Mr.Peter Odil
Mr David Nicholas