fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "inheritance funds" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: " Festus A. Keyamu" <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 17:46:45 -0700
Subject: Your Approved outstanding inheritance funds assigned by your uncle
Mr.John Thompson Kehoe
We wish to use this medium to keep you posted on the out come of
meeting between the board of the bank, the World Bank president,the
international monetary fund (IMF)Delegates,EU, Paris club and United
Arab league as well as United Nations (UN) hereby wish to inform you
that your inheritance funds worth the sum $17,557,000.00 which has
been Signed/Approved and mandate given to CBN to notify you and upon
your interest the CBN will give you guide on the processing/crediting the
funds into your bank account as the bonafide beneficiary via any
payment method of your choice.
And to this end, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that
your payment file was brought to my desk last Friday. And would also
be grateful if you would let me know your reasons to forgo such
benefit as I have attempted to reach out to all beneficiaries whose
file has been brought to my desk regarding their outstanding delayed
funds payment alike.
Please be notified that the CONTRACT/INHERITANCE Payment Approval as
contained in file (NO.FEDNIGCBN.XX217C) in Amount of Seventeen Million
Five Hundred and Fifty seven thousand United States Dollars
($17,557,000.00) which was Deposited by our late CUSTOMER Mr.John
Thompson Kehoe in whose estate/acct. proceeds your name Appeared in
the file (NO.FEDNIGCBN.XX217C) as his next of Kin and was assigned by
him that you're to inherit the $17,557,000.00 deposited with CENTRAL
BANK in case of any misfortune is now APPROVED for onward payment to
you via any payment method of your choice.
What's Required is Re-confirmation of details such as follows below.
Your Full name===============
Country of Origin============= Mailing address==========
National Id Card, Inter.passport or Drivers License Either==============
Your Telephone Number specifically Mobile ==============
Your next of Kin's name and Address=============and Tel. No.==========
I am Festus A. Keyamu/Chairman Joint committee on
Info./Communications Strategy UN,IMF,PARIS CLUB,ARAB LEAGUE and so
Please Contact the bank at below info.and indicate in your reply the
payment method with which you want the funds paid to you.
Contact/Address your mail to Deputy Gov./Director Inter. Money
Transfer Services Dr. Kingsley Moghalu
via his private; e-mail address; (firstname.lastname@example.org)
WhatsAPP +2348085595775 Pls.while contacting the bank via Whatsapp
mention your name for clarifications.
I advise you to reply today with your details for confirmation and
immediate processing of the long-delayed payment of your Inheritance
We are very sorry for the delay in payment of this funds. Thanks for
adhering to this instruction and once again accept our
Festus A. Keyamu
Director Info./Communications Strategy
UN,IMF,PARIS CLUB,ARAB LEAGUE