fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "executive governor" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "central bank of nigeria" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Central Bank Of Nigeria <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 14:36:05 +0100
Subject: Contact Mr.Daniel Don Regarding This Message??????
CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA
270 OZUMBA MBADIWE AVENUE,
VICTORIA ISLAND, LAGOS.
Office Tel: +234-708-8241-778
Fax : 234-1-5233601.
From the Desk of Mr.Godwin Emefiele.
Central Bank Of Nigeria.
*PAYMENT ORDER VIA CASH DELIVERY *
This is to inform you that the board of executive directors of this bank
have held meeting regarding the out-standing payment and this is to
officially inform you by the management of the *CBN* that,Your fund claim
of *US$5.500,000.00* (*Five Million Five Hundred Thousand United States
Dollars Only*) has been duly approved for immediate payment via cash
delivery and attached is the evidence of the cash inside the trunk box and
keep this information confidential and note that CBN Board of executive
directors have finalized with the courier delivering company and sent him
to deliver one trunk box that has been sealed and closed so that nobody
will have any right to open the trunk box until it gets to your country
successfully because it is only me and you that know what is being
delivered to your door step and honestly speaking he is not aware of the
content of the box because the first time we tried sending the box to one
of our client and the first diplomat made away with the box and went to his
country with it due to the fact that he knew the content of the box and was
later apprehended in Brazil and please don't disclose to him that the box
contains cash until he delivers the box to your door step as you can see
that he knows that the papers covering the box are *HOSPITAL EQUIPMENT'S *for
the treatment of the covid-19 pandemic as he equally know about the
consignment and you should remember that immediately the diplomat arrive
with your consignment trunk box,Then your *PIN CODE NUMBER* will be made
available through your email address which you will use to open the box to
crosscheck the total amount of the *US$5.5M* inside the trunk box.
You should urgently contact the courier delivery company*,*Because he is
the one that will deliver your consignment in order for him to know that
you are the beneficiary of the consignment because *CBN* have handed the
trunk box over to his company for delivery to your address and urgently
contact him before he will lift the consignment from the John F.Kennedy
airport to your address and without you contacting him, He will not lift
the trunk box to your address.
So you should contact him at once to enable him to leave the airport and
below are the details of the courier delivery company,contact him
immediately and tell him the nearest airport to your house and other
information he needs to reach quickly and faster to enable him to deliver
the consignment trunk box to your hands.
*Contact Name:Mr.Daniel Don*
*Anti Escort Courier Delivery Company. License No: AECDC/000102/198*
*Address:Queens,Ny 11430,United States*
*Telephone (Whats-app Number): +1 (520) 261 3229.*
Open the attachment file to view the evidence of the cash inside the trunk
*THANKS.BEST REGARDS,MR.GODWIN EMEFIELE,EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR,CENTRAL BANK OF