fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Hotmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: ms connie dutton <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 09:21:27 +0100
Subject: Tow Whom It May Concern.
My name is Mrs Connie Dutton, 51 years Old. I reside here in Silver
Springs Florida. My
residential address is as follows. 7008 E Hwy 326 Silver Springs
Florida 34488, United States, I am one of those that took part in the
Compensation in Nigeria many years ago and they refused to pay me, I
had paid over US$20,000 while in the US A, trying to get my payment all
to no avail.
So I decided to travel down to Africa with all my compensation
documents, And I was directed to meet Barrister Edmond Walls, who is
the member of COMPENSATION AWARD COMMITTEE, and I contacted him and he
explained everything to me. He said whoever is contacting us through
emails are fake.
He took me to the paying bank for the claim of my Compensation
payment. Right now I am the most happiest woman on earth because I
have received my compensation funds of $1.5 Million US Dollars
Moreover, Barrister Edmond Walls, showed me the full information of
those that are yet to receive their payments and I saw your email
address as one of the beneficiaries, that is why I decided to email
you to stop dealing with those people, they are not with your fund,
they are only making money out of you. I will advise you to contact
Barrister Edmond Walls.
You have to contact him directly on this information below.
COMPENSATION AWARD HOUSE
Name : Barrister Edmond Walls(Esq)
Tel: (+234 9090 849 018)
The only money I paid after I met Barrister Edmond Walls was just
US($185) only for the paper works, take note of that.
As soon as you contact him he will send you the payment information
which you are to use in sending the payment to him in order for him to
obtain the document from the court of law there in Nigeria so that
your fund can be transfer to you without any delay just the way mine
was being transfer to me.
Send him the following details if you know you are ready to have your
FUNDS so that as soon as he receive your information he will send to
you the payment details for sending him the ($185) only that is needed for
him to get the document that is needed to make the transfer a
successful one and that is that only payment i made to Barrister
Edmond Walls and he help me in the transferring of my FUNDS and i
most say that you have to contact him so that he will help you the way
he help me to Get my FUNDS without any further payment.
7008 E Hwy 326 Silver Springs
Florida 34488, United State