fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "transfer into your account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advise to" (this email uses bad English)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "foreign remittance department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: ZENITH BANK <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 09:36:53 +0100
Subject: ATTN: BENEFICIARY,PAYMENT NOTIFICATION OF YOUR $27,000,000.00 (
TWENTY SEVEN MILLION UNITED STATE DOLLARS )
Zenith Bank Plc.
87 Ajose Adeogun St,
Victoria Island 106104, Lagos.
SWIFT Code: ZEIBNGLA
Foreign Remittance Department.
PAYMENT NOTIFICATION OF YOUR $27,000,000.00 ( TWENTY SEVEN MILLION
UNITED STATE DOLLARS )
My Name is Mr. Ebenezer Onyeagwu, I am the Group Managing Director/CEO
of Zenith Bank Plc.This is to alert you that your name and email
address is on the Central Computer among the list of unpaid
contractors, Inheritance next of kin, Compensation fund and lotto
beneficiaries that originated from Africa ( Nigerian Government )
Europe, Asia Plus Middle East, Americans ) Among the list you are a
beneficiary to receive a fund payment worth the sum of $27,000,000.00
( TWENTY SEVEN MILLION UNITED STATE DOLLARS ) which has been approved
by the Federal Government of Nigeria and deposited into our Bank for
your immediate payment. I hereby officially notifying you about the
present arrangement to pay you as i have been appointed and directed
to take in-charge of your fund payment here in this Bank, This
arrangement was constituted by the World Bank and International
Monetary Fund (IMF) during the general board meeting and we have
decided to make this payment to you through the two following options
below which you have to choose one option on how you will desire to
receive your fund and quickly follow up the procedure for your
immediate fund payment.
Option ( 1 ) Through Bank To Bank Wire Transfer: This is a direct
electronic transfer that will enable you receive the sum of money in
your bank account that you will provide for this Bank to effect the
transfer as it is always done electronically. It will take 24 hours
being one (1) working day to reflect into your account.
Option ( 2 ) Through ATM CARD Payment: We will send you an ATM CARD
direct to your residential address for you to receive the ATM CARD and
start making use of the ATM CARD in making withdraw of your fund in
any Atm machine in your country and all over the world. This will take
48 hours (2) working days to be deliver to your doorstep.
You are advise to quickly choose one option on how you will desire to
receive your fund and respond back to this Bank today, Any option you
choose now among the two we will start processing on it then you will
need to comply for the proceed of your fund payment without any
further delay, If you desire to receive your fund through BANK WIRE
transfer quickly respond back to this Bank and provide or reconfirm to
us your personal information such as your Full Name, Location home
address and your banking details where you will desire to receive your
fund for an accurate transfer into your account. If you desire to
receive your fund through ATM CARD payment kindly provide your
personal information such as below.
1.) Your Name In Full:...............
2.) Country/Location Home Address:.............
3.) Telephone Numbers:...........
6.) A Copy Of Your Identity Card..........
7.) Bank Name:............
8.) Bank Location Address:...........
9.) Account Name:.............
10.) Account Numbers:.........
11 ) Next Of Kin:...........
Kindly choose one option on how you will desire to receive your fund
and quickly reply back to my department today with the required
information in other to proceed with your fund payment without any
further delay, Thank you for your kind understanding as i look forward
to hear from you today.
Mr. Ebenezer Onyeagwu,
CEO Of Zenith Bank Plc.
Phone Number: +2347010204120.