fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "processing fee" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "chambers" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "MR.TERRY JAMES" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 06:57:24 -1200
Subject: IF YOU FAIL TO SEND THE $50 THIS WEEK YOUR $3.600,000.00 IS GONE
DERAL MINISTRY OF FINANCE NATIONAL HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY COMPLEX
SENATE HOUSE - UPPER CHAMBERS WUSE DISTRICT.
IF YOU FAIL TO SEND THE $50 THIS WEEK YOUR $3.600,000.00 IS GONE
Our Ref: FGN /SNT/STB.
Compliment of the season, I have to inform you again, that we are not
playing over this, I know my reason for the continuous sending of this
notification to you, the fact is that you can't seem to trust any one
again over this payment for what you have been in cantered in many
months ago, but I want you to trust me, I cannot scam you for $50 it
is for bank processing of your payment, the fees of $50 is clearly
written to you before, I did not invent the bill to defraud you of $50
it is an official bank payment processing fee, and the good part of
this, is that you will never, ever be disturbed again over any kind of
payment, this is final, and the forms from there becomes effective
once we submit your payment application processing fee and pay the
form fee of $50 I don't want you to lose this fund this time, because
you may never get another such good opportunity, the federal
government is keen and very determined to pay your overdue debts, this
is not a fluke, I would not ! Want you to lose this fund out.
The processing charges which was initially on the high price has been
cut down by the payout bank considering the poor economic situations
that make it difficult for the middle class citizens to meet up with
the processing charges of their entitlement. Upon the confirmation of
your processing charges you will get your $3.600,000.00 into your
account within 15hrs.
Only what you will do now is to Contact us back if you are interested
in receiving your fund and information will be given to you were to
send the bank processing charges to avoid wrong transaction, finally
my advice to you is not to abandon this transaction because of the
requirement of ($50) buy Steam wallet gift card or iTunes card or
Razor gold gift card.
As soon as the payment is received, you will receive your $3.6M the
same today without any delay. call or whatsapp +2349069417796 +234