fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: FedEx Nigeria Head Office <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 02:11:36 -0700
Subject: FedEx Nigeria Head Office
FedEx Nigeria Head Office
70 International Airport
Road Mameluke, Lagos Nigeria.
Customers Service Hours--Monday To Saturday:
Office Hours Monday To Saturday:
Attention' Attention? Attention'''
The FedEx courier Service Company are hereby passing an essential
massage to all our valuable customers to be very careful while
presenting their receivers residential address to avoid wrong
delivery. This is the FedEx courier service company mailing you as per
your parcel that was brought to this company to be delivered to you by
one Mr Godwin Emefiele, along the delivery process there came a
misunderstanding between you and the Nico insurance company In regard
of their request as per their insurance certificate which happens to
be course of your parcel pending for the past One Year. Meanwhile we
are hereby happy to inform you that the FedEx Company has finalized
everything with the Nico insurance company of Nigeria as the company
organization has also listed 24 valuable parcels to be intact in their
office after the released of the parcels from the Nico insurance
We are Obliged to inform you once again that your parcel that contain
the sum of $6,000,000. 00 million dollars is among the 24 parcels
listed which is now in our office and also with your name as the
receiver despite that .we lost your private residential address, which
is an indication that you can now re-send your residential address to
back to the FedEx company where your parcel can be delivered to you
without hesitation with this e-mail:
(firstname.lastname@example.org ) Meanwhile remember that the
sender of this parcel Mr. Godwin Emefiele still owes your parcel that
contain the sum of $6,000,000. 00 million dollars has been Approve on
your Name to be delivered to your hours address this company the sum
of $160 before incident occurs, know you that this company has spend
out of their incomes in the process by recovery back your parcel so
dear costumer we once again appreciate your patronage in our favor.
Without hesitations you are to pay for just the balance left by your
sender via World Remit or rial so that your parcel can be delivered to
your residential address before it accumulate a demur rage after one
week only,as you know your parcel is not just an ordinary parcel but
with a huge amount and I think you understand what I meant by
accumulating a demur rage? Which you will not allow to happen to your
recovery parcel that almost gone if not for the love that the good God
have for you by favoring you with his favor because it was God who did
it not by your power but by the spirit says the lord.
We assure you that your parcel will arrive at your country in two days
time and it will get to your door step the third OR fourth day as soon
as this company receive the balance left by your sender and the
tracking number of your parcel will be sent to you via e-mail
immediately so that you can track it yourself to see your parcel
coming on the way and you will also know when it will arrive at your
country because we operate in trust and loyalty in your favor. Note!!
the FedEx courier Service Company is hereby to inform all their
customers by eradicating all their communication with the scam mails
that are going all-over the world be careful with their e-mails so
that your parcel will not be in danger with their evil planes. FedEx
provides access to a growing global marketplace through a network of
supply chain,transportation, business and related information
PAYMENT INFORMATION OFFICE by World Remit or Ria:
1, RECEIVERS NAMEâ¦â¦â¦â¦â¦OKELUE CHIEDU PATRICK
2, RECEIVERS ........... COUNTRY LAGOS NIGERIA
3, AMOUNT â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦ $160
4, MOBILE TELEPHONE NUMBER +234-7019474148
Waiting for the following
FedEx is one of the world's great success stories, the start-up that
revolutionized the delivery of packages and information. In the past
30 years, we've grown up and grown into adverse family of companies -a
FedEx that's bigger,stronger, better than ever. WAITING TO READ YOUR
FedEx Nigeria Head Office
70 International Airport Road Mameluke, Lagos Nigeria.