fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "@ MR.JOHN EBEH" <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 01:31:05 -0700
Subject: Attention/Good day,
DHL COURIER EXPRESS COMPANY Benin Republic:Contact Phone: +229 960-22-841,
This is to inform you that After a brief meeting in our office today
your ATM VISA CARD has been parceled and arrangement has been
completed with the DHL COURIER EXPRESS COMPANY for immediate delivery
of your ATM VISA CARD to you without any delay to your home address.
You are hereby adviced to reconfirm your full informations to the DHL
COURIER EXPRESS COMPANY for immediate delivery of your ATM VISA CARD
worth of $35.5 Million USD.Mr.Isaac Nicholas Director DHL COURIER
EXPRESS COMPANY Benin Republic:Contact Phone: +229 960-22-841,
We can send your tracking details to enable you track your parcel. You
are adviced to stop any communication with other Departments until you
recieve your ATM VISA CARD from them immediatly :
Requires Information we needed from you for the delivery of your ATM VISA CARD;
1. Your first and second name......
2. Your house address..............
3. Your office address.............
4. Your Mobile Telephone...........
5. Your Fax Number.................
6. Your Country Origin.............
7. Your Age........................
8. Your Driver lances ............
10. Your occupation,
Endevour to indicate this code(INTLDED0584) Which will prove that you
are the rightfull onwer of the parcel deposited with them to aviod
delay with your delivery. Accept our congratulations in advance.