fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "claim agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- "million united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: wumtpc wumtpc <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 13:26:40 +0000
Subject: YOU HAVE WON,CONGRATULATIONS!
WINNING NUMBER: WUNT/0768/SA/2023
Dear Award Winner,
We Celebrate our 171st years Annual Anniversary 2023 of Western Union was founded in 1851; we rolled out over USD$260, 000, 000, 00 (Two hundred and Sixty Million United State Dollars) for our 171st Anniversary draws. All participants were selected through a computer ballot system drawn from 25,000,00 company email addresses, and 30,000,00 individual email addresses from over 40 networks from Australia, New Zealand, North America, South America, Europe, all Asia and Africa as part of international promotion held in the United Kingdom.
We officially Announce to you that your email address has just Won the sum of USD$920.000, 00 (Nine Hundred and twenty Thousand United State Dollars) to begin the verification process of your prize;
Your Winning award paying receiving office falls into Pretoria Western Union Regional Office South Africa. you should send the required information to the claim agent immediately.
The Claim Transferring Agent's Contact Details are as Follows:
Name: Massimiliano Alvi
You should establish contact with the redeeming transferring manager via email or telephone with the particulars presented below for immediate payment to your bank account; please remember to quote your winning file number and your winning transferring identification code in your correspondence to him.
Fill the following information's
1. Bank Name:...................
3. Account Number:..............
4. Bank Address:.....................
5. Swift Code or Routing Number:.............
6. Your Mobile Telephone Number:...........
7. Date of Birth:......................
11. Alternative email:..................
You will be contacted by western union transferring manager in the next 24 hours as soon as you forwarded your required bank account information to him for the transfer.
Save time, send money, earn rewards! Western Union is a service people trust.
YOUR WINNING TRANSFER IDENTIFICATION CODE (WUNT/0768/UK/2023).
© 2008-2023 WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER, INC. All Rights Reserve.