fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a "New Partner from Paraguay" scam.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: ORA BANK <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 16:19:01 -0700
Subject: GOOD NEWS
compensations Funds from your friend Aleesa
I am pleased to inform you about my success in getting those funds
transferred under the cooperation of a new partner from Canada. I am
currently in Canada for investment and my studies here in Canada
meanwhile, I will not forget your past efforts and attempts to assist
me in transferring the funds that failed somehow.
Now you need to contact the Ora bank Benin republic with their Email
address Below, (firstname.lastname@example.org) Ask them to send
you a certified visa card value of $450.000.00 Four hundred and fifty
thousand Dollars. which I prepared and kept for your compensation for
all the efforts and attempts to assist me in this matter that failed
I appreciate your efforts at that time very much, i kept the visa
card with the Ora bank Benin republic. so you have to contact them
with your full information immediately for your Visa card. To enable
them to deliver your ATM card that contains your total funds down to
your home Address their contact below,such as.
Your full Name;...........
Your home Address;.........
Your direct phone number;.........
A copy of your I D card;.........
Your country ;.....â¦....
TELEPHONE NUMBER IS +229 61058180 or +229 99728541
FAX NUMBER +229 51869428
EMAIL ADDRESS- (email@example.com)
just feel free to contact them as soon as possible, so they can send
you the visa card with value of ($450,000 U.S Dollars ) Four hundred
and fifty thousand U.S. dollars i kept with your name,
Please. let me know immediately you receive the visa card so we can
share our joy together after all the sufferings at that time. At this
point, I'm very busy here because of my studies and the investment
with my new partner, finally, remember that I had forwarded
instruction to the Ora bank Benin republic on your behalf to receive
that money. So do not hesitate to contact them to send your visa card
without any delay.