fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: "Mr. Bright Maphosa" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 15:06:01 +0200
Subject: Ref

Standard Bank South Africa
2 Heerengracht Towers,
Hans Strijdom Ave, Cape Town City Centre,
Cape Town, 8001
Tel: +27-730573196

Dear Sir/Madam,

I know, this letter will come to you as surprises as we never met
before. My name is Mr. Bright Maphosa, the director in charge of Chief
Auditing and Accounting Unit of Standard Bank South Africa I and my
colleagues, hope that you will not expose or betray this trust and
confidant that I am about to introduce to you for the mutual benefit
of our both families. I am writing in respect of Mr. Mathy Reinhold of a
foreign customer of our Bank who perished long with his next of kin with
Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302, flight number 801with the whole
passengers on 10th of March 2019. Open and view the website:

Since the demise of this our customer, I personally has watched with
Keen interest to see the next of kin but all has proved abortive as no
one has come to claim his funds of $15.000.000,00 (Fifteen Million
United States Dollars), which has been with our branch for a very long
time. On this note, I decided to seek for whom his name shall be used as
the Next of Kin since nobody is coming for the fund again. In view of
this I got your contact through the Internet when I was doing research
on a foreigner that I will use in this great opportunity because I don’t
want the money to be recalled to our Bank treasury as unclaimed funds. I
have also agreed to offer you 40% of the total sum and the rest 60% will
be for me.

The reason for a foreigner in the Business is for the fact that the
deceased man was a foreigner and it is not authorized by the law guiding
our Bank for a citizen of this country to make the claim of the fund. So
the Request of you as a foreigner is necessary to apply for the release
and transfer of the fund smoothly into your reliable Bank account as the
Surviving Relation to the deceased. If you are really sure of your
integrity, trustworthy and confidentiality, and accept not to cheat or
disappoint me after this business.

I will send you by fax or e-mail the next procedure to follow in order
to execute this transaction .I will not fail to bring to your notice
that this business is hitch free and doesn't have any negative impact.
You should not entertain any fear as all modalities for the smooth and
easy transfer of this fund have been finalized; this transaction will be
completed within 7-bank working Days immediately we start the claim.
Waiting for your urgent response and please kindly delete if you are not
interested. Email me with this

Mr. Bright Maphosa

Anti-fraud resources: