fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "security keeping fee" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: MRS JOY TUTU <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 16:22:51 -0800
This is to bring to your notice that because of the impossibility of
your fund transfer through our western union network, we have credited
your total fund of $3,800,000.00 Legitimate USD into an ATM VISA
card,and we have paid the delivery fee of your ATM VISA card to you,
we paid it because your ATM VISA card worth of $3,800,000.00 which we
have registered for deliver, has less than 16 days to expire in the
custody of the EMS Company and when it expires, the money will go into
federal government treasury account.
For that we decided to help you pay off the money so that your ATM
VISA card will not expire, because we trust that when you receive this
your ATM VISA card, definitely you must pay us back and even
compensate us for helping you. Like we stated earlier, the delivery
charges has been paid ,therefore the only money you were advice to
send to them is their official security keeping fee of $105usd.
Like I stated earlier, the crediting re-activation, delivery and the
company registration charges has been paid by me, but I did not pay
their official security keeping fee since they refused, they refused
and the reason is that they do not know when you are going to contact
them and the demur rage might have increased by then, They told me
that their official security keeping fee is $105.00, and I deposited it
on Sunday Being (March 12, 2023)
Therefore you should contact them with the below contact information
Company name; EMS Express Customer Service
Logistic Manager:Mr.Jerry Brown
Try to contact them today and also send them the security official
security keeping charge to avoid increasing of their fees and let me
know once you receive this your ATM VISA CARD. Contact them today with
your full information requested below
Your Full Name
Your Residence Home Address
A Copy of You Identification
Your Direct Phone
Try to indicate all this codes to them because it will prove that you
are the rightful person that own the ATM visa card deposited in their
Shipment Code awb 33xzs
ATM Card Registered Code No xgt442
Security Code sctc:2001dhx:567:
Transaction Code 233:cstc:101:33028
Certificate Deposit code: sctc:bun.xxiv:78:01
Depositor:MRS JOY TUTU
Manager of UBA Bank Plc
This is to avoid wrong delivery, do that urgent to avoid increase of
their keeping fees and let us know once you receive your ATM VISA
MRS JOY TUTU