fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "inheritance funds" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "power of attorney" (with your bank details and a power of attorney form criminals sometimes empty bank accounts)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- 743 east king street;york,pennsylvania 17503. ( email@example.com ) bank c no: 68302345093 routing no: 021109593 account (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "MR DAVID MORRIS." <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 10:01:30 +0000
Within 24 hour ATM CARD Pin code 1114 IMF Notice This message is in
regards of your inheritance funds $15 million ATM VISA card
package,which has been in custody DHL for long and Mr Larry Martin
send us a power of attorney stated that you have a car accident is
true? a power of attorney stated to release package to Mr Larry Martin
to pick up ATM VISA card on your behalf.I know it is because of past
experience didn,t believe try get back urgency. to Delivery ATM
Here are their informationâs:
Name..Mr Larry Martin
Address; 743 east king street;York,Pennsylvania 17503. (
bANk C NO: 68302345093
Routing NO: 021109593
Account Name: Mr Larry Martin
Please,as matter of urgency if Mr Larry Martin responsible to pick up
ATM VISA card on your behalf or wrong person.To avoid having any
problem with your funds
For that we decided to help you because we trust that when you receive
this your ATM VISA card, definitely you must help us and even
compensate us for helping you. Like we stated earlier,
Your Address: ___________
Country City: ____________
Phone Number: __________
SHIPMENT CODE AWB 33XZS,
PACKAGE REGISTERED CODE NO AWB33XZS1133
SECURITY CODE SCTC/2001DHX/567/;
TAG NO # DHLXH441122
BATCH NO # DHLCMPLN11144
ATM CARD NO # 5126 4467 8912 3456
ATM CARD PIN ****
Therefore you should contact them with the below contact information
Send Your Require information via Email Address
MR DAVID MORRIS.
Managing Director Notice
Calling Number Tel.+229-94915908