fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk boxes" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "a diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. David Cairn Lee" <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 06:50:51 -0800
Subject: NEW YORK COUSTOM AUTHORITY
NEW YORK CUSTOM AUTHORITY
The Delivery OF Your Consignment Boxes
J F Kennedy International Airport New York.
I am David C Lee, Chief Inspection Agent- United Nations
Inspection Unit at John F Kennedy International airport New York-
working hand in hand with Department of Homeland Security and U.S
Customs and Border Protection, During our investigation I discovered
an abandoned shipment from a Diplomat from London UK and when scanned
it revealed an undisclosed sum of money in a metal trunk box weighing
approximately 25kg each, the consignment was abandoned because the
Content was not properly declared by the consignee as money rather it
was declared as personal effect to avoid diversion by the shipping
agent and also the Diplomat inability to pay for Non Inspection Fees.
On my assumption each of the boxes will contain about $3Million to
$4Million each and the consignment is still left in the storage house
till today The consignment are two metal boxes with weight of about
25kg each Internal dimension: W61 x H156 x D73 cm Effective capacity:
110 LBS. Approximately, the details of the consignment including your
name and address the official document from United Nation office in
London are tagged on the Metal Trunk boxes.
PROVIDE YOUR NAME;
FULL HOME ADDRESS TO CROSS CHECK IF IT CORRESPONDS WITH THE
NAME AND ADDRESS ON THE CONSIGNMENT INCLUDING
THE NAME OF NEAREST AIRPORT AROUND YOUR CITY AND OTHER DETAILS
You can send the required details to me by email for onward
delivery, all communication must be held extremely confidential I can
get everything concluded within 5-6 hours upon your acceptance and
proceed to your address for delivery if you assure me of sharing the
content 30% for me 70% with you on my arrival to your house I want us
to transact this business and share the money since the shipper has
abandoned it and disappeared I will pay for the Non inspection fee
and arrange for the boxes to be moved out of this airport to your
address by myself. But I will share it 30%/70% with you Make sure you
Respond to me via my direct EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org
David C Lee.