fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Anastasia Bohuslav <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 02:52:06 -0800
Subject: GOOD DAY - ! .
My name is Mrs. Anastasia Bohuslav,
I am an Ukranian citizen and I work with Oschad Bank, as a banker, I am the central Vault Recorder, I am responsible for the administration and daily operation of the Bank's central vault in a safe record keeping and secure manner in accordance with the Bank's objectives, policies, procedures and processes.
These are my primary duty and responsibility with the Oschad Bank, before the unfortunate war broke out with the maximum aggression and attack of the Russian President Mr. Vladimir Putin, and my Branch bank has been hit with multiples rockets to no recognition and so many people died and Russian Armies have taking over the premises, I was able to escape and I have been sleeping between borders till I made my way to a neighbouring European Country.
Towards the beginning of the war I was able to channel with the sum of 79.5MILLION EURO (Seventy Nine Million, Five Hundred Thousand Euro) through a diplomatic channel successfully which now is in safety with the finance and security services arm of reputable bank and presently I want a partner, who will integrate the above sum into investment and the banking system.
I am unable to make a claim to this fund being a member of the bank where the fund originates.
I need your help within the shortest possible period of time, I will join you when I have resettled while our sharing mode will be 50% equal split.
Reply to my private e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Anastasia Bohuslav.