fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following fake company names, fake addresses, non-existent institutions/documents or other details have appeared in scams before:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "fund beneficiary" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "await your urgent response" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "we advice you" (this email uses bad English)
- "diplomatic delivery" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: UNITED NATION <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 16:13:07 +0100
Subject: USA GOV.
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT TREASURE
TREASURE BUILDING 1500 PENNSYLVANIAN
FINANCIAL STABILITY OVERSIGHT COUNCIL
Dear Customer,Fund Beneficiary
This is to inform you that the total sum of $3.6 Million was deposited in
our bank by
International Monetary Fund (IMF)as a compensation Fund.We sincerely
apologies to you
that we can not continue your transaction via wire transfer anymore due to
in making smooth wire transfer from this country to your personal bank
Therefore, Industrial federal credit union Bank department will be
sending your total
fund worth $3.6 Million United States Dollars through any of these means:
1. Licensed Diplomatic Delivery Company.
This will be the easiest way for the transaction to be completed and you
will receive your
fund successfully without anymore delay from both countries security
i advice you to forward us the name on your valid ID Card,Address, City,
reachable phone number which will use to register your Fund with Licensed
SECOND OPTION: Industrial federal credit union Online Banking.
You can choose Industrial federal credit union online banking system if
first option is not accepted.Industrial federal credit union Bank will
setup an online
banking account with your information and after the online banking account
is setup we will
forward you the login information such as the USERNAME & PASSWORD that can
allow you login
into our online website to view your account balance and also transfer
money from the online
account to your personal bank account anywhere in the world.
We advice you to choose one option out of the two mentioned.
Below is the information needed to carry out the transaction successfully.
1..Your Full Name:.
2..Your Home Address:
3..City & Zip Code:
5..Your Cell Phone: .
7..Scan Copy of Any Valid ID:
Thanks and we await your urgent response regarding the above mentioned to
enable us carry
out our duty as instructed.forward your details to Lawyer Bruno Vince on (
alliance federal credit union ,
AVP & Manager,