fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "money gram" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "time is not on our side" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "diplomatic courier" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "diplomatic agent" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "MR. GODWIN EMEFIELE" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 22:58:39 -0800
Subject: GOOD DAY,Fund Beneficiary.
I AM MR. GODWIN EMEFIELE.DIRECTOR CASH PROCESSING UNIT FOR UNITED BANK
FOR AFRICA NIG PLC [UBA].
The only Bank appointed by all AFRICAN PRESIDENT'S LED BY OUR
PRESIDENT MOHAMADU BUHARI BECAUSE OF FRAUD GOING ON IN AFRICA AND
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA WERE AN INNOCENT DIRECTORS WERE ASK TO PAY
CHARGES BEFORE THEY WILL RECEIVE THEIR MONEY OWN TO THEM BY AFRICAN
COUNTRIES. WE RECEIVE YOUR FILES FROM I.M.F/UNITED NATION HEAD OF
OFFICE THIS MORNING.
I want to make it clear to you that what you are paying to the
diplomat WHOM WE ARE GOING TO USE HIS IMMUNITY FOR THE SHIPMENT OF
YOUR $5.500.000 FIVE MILLION FIVE HUNDERD THOUSAND UNITED STATE
DOLLARS is Only, $50,000 FIFTY thousand united state dollar
immediately you received your fund out from him and confirm it not in
advance CASH ON DELIVERY (COD). And i also received a security report
that you are paying money to some fraudster / Banks in U.S/Nigeria and
some of courier companies who are deceiving you telling you that they
are going to send your money to you. I will advise you in spirit not
to waste your money paying any body till you follow my instruction,
and if you did not get your money in the next three days.
MEANWHILE, OUR SECURITY REPORT SHOWN THAT THIS PEOPLE IS DEMANDING
PAYMENT FROM YOU AND YOU WANT TO WASTE YOUR MONEY BY PAYING THEM MONEY
IN ADVANCE. DO NOT PAY TO ANYBODY BECAUSE THEY ARE FRAUDSTER AND IT IS
BECAUSE OF THEIR FRAUD ACTIVITIES ALL OVER THE WORLD THAT WE HELD THIS
MEETING IN SOUTH AFRICA WITH ALL THE AFRICAN PRESIDENTS TOGETHER WITH
UN SECRETARY GENERAL ( MR. AntÃ³nio Guterres), AND RESOLVE TO PAY ALL
OUR CREDITORS CASH THROUGH THIS MEANS OF DIPLOMATIC COURIER SERVICE TO
PAY EVERY ONE INVOLVED IN ALL OVER THE WORLD.
IF ANY BODY TELLS YOU THAT HE IS PAYING YOU IN BANK DRAFT MONEY GRAM
OR TELEGRAPHIC MONEY TRANSFER FROM AFRICA DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM BECAUSE
NIGERIAN'S DON'T SEND MONEY OUT BY MONEY GRAM NIRTHER BY WESTERN UNION
AND DUE TO THIS FRAUD NO INTERNATIONAL BANK HONORS ANY REMITTANCE
INSTRUCTIONS HERE IN AFRICA. BUT IF THEY TOLD YOU TO RECEIVE YOUR FUND
THROUGH ANY BANK IN LONDON OR CAMBODIA ASIA THAT IS FOR REAL. THAT IS
WHY WE HAVE TO PAY THROUGH THIS MEANS AND KNOWN OF OUR BANK DRAFT IS
NOT WORKING BECAUSE OF THIS THIEVES IN AFRICA AND BENIN .
YOUR FUND HAVE BEEN PACKAGED TODAY WHICH I WILL ATTACH THE PICTURE OF
THE BOXES AND SEND TO YOU AFTER I RECEIVE YOUR MAIL, AND I HAVE TO
TAKE THE BOX OF YOUR FUND TO THE IMPEX DIPLOMATIC SECURITY COURIER
SERVICE TO REGISTER THE BOX WITH THEM, AND I WILL SEND THE KEYS OF
THE BOX SEPARATELY TO YOU BY DHL OR UPS TO AVOID THE COURIER SERVICE
AGENT TEMPERING WITH THE CONTENT OR DIVERT IT TO ANOTHER PLACE.
PLEASE STOP COMMUNICATING WITH THIS FRAUDSTERS IN U.S.A, ASIA AND
AFRICA CALLING THEM SELF SUCH NAMES OR IN ANY PART OF THE WORLD FOR
YOUR OWN INTEREST AND ALSO IF YOU HAVE SENT MONEY TO THEM JUST LET ME
KNOW SO THAT OUR SECURITY AGENT WILL RETRIEVE THE MONEY BACK TO YOU
BUT THAT WILL BE AFTER YOU HAVE RECEIVED YOUR FUND OF $5.500.000 FIVE
MILLION FIVE HUNDERD THOUSAND UNITED STATE DOLLARS OUT FROM THE
DIPLOMATIC AGENT IN YOUR COUNTRY.
I WILL SEND YOU MORE MAILS TO GIVE YOU MORE INFORMATION FOR YOU TO
KNOW THE GENUINE OF THIS DEVELOPMENT. PLEASE FORWARD YOUR PHONE NUMBER
YOUR FULL HOME ADDRESS AND A COPY OF YOUR INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT OR
NATIONAL I.D CARD WHERE THE DIPLOMAT AGENT WILL DELIVERY YOUR BOX'S TO
YOU, AND ALSO SEND TO ME THIS INFORMATION'S FOR QUICK ACTION BECAUSE
TIME IS NOT ON OUR SIDE.
ALL THE DOCUMENT WILL BE SENT TO YOU IF I AM ASSURED THAT YOU HAVE
STOPPED SENDING MONEY TO THOSE FRAUDSTER IN USA,ASIA AND AFRICA THAT
ASKING YOU TO SEND MONEY TO THEM AND FACELESS USA AND AFRICANS NAME.
BUT GOD WILL JUDGE ALL OF THEM WHO LEAVES BY CHEATING PEOPLE. MY BIBLE
SAYS WHAT DOES IT PROFIT A MAN WHEN YOU GAIN THE WHOLE WORLD BUT LOOSE
I WANT YOU TO TAKE NOTE THAT WE HAVE BEEN SENDING MAIL TO ALL THE
FRAUDSTER TO STOP ALL MEANS OF ASSOCIATING THEYSELF WITH THIS
FRAUDSTER OR THEY WILL FACE JAIL, ANY WAY DON'T LET ANYBODY KNOW THIS
NEW DEVELOPMENT TILL YOU RECEIVE YOUR FUND OUT.
I AM WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU AND MR NEWMAN WOOD, HAS BEEN
COMMUNICATED ABOUT THIS ARRANGEMENT HE IS THE DIRECTOR GENERAL OF THE
DELIVERY COMPANY. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.
You can also log on to:
FROM: MR. GODWIN EMEFIELE.
Managing Director CEO/GMD
Foreign Operations Department Officer
United Bank for Africa Plc. (UBA)
Direct Phone: +234-7026005083
Direct Fax: +234 1227049001
DIRECTOR CASH PROCESSING UNIT