fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "million united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "abuja" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Ambassador uzoma emenike <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 05:35:59 -0700
Subject: ATM MASTERCARD DELIVERY
Embassy of the United States of America
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive
Central District Area, Abuja Nigeria.
THIS IS Ambassador uzoma emenike Ambassador to Nigeria. . I SHALL BE
COMING TO YOUR COUNTRY FOR AN OFFICIAL MEETING ON WEDNESDAY AND I WILL
BE BRINGING YOUR FUNDS THROUGH AN ATM MASTER CARD OF( $35 Million
United State Dollars) ALONG WITH ME BUT THIS TIME I WILL NOT GO
THROUGH CUSTOMS BECAUSE AS AN AMBASSADOR TO NIGERIA, I AM A U.S
GOVERNMENT AGENT AND I HAVE THE VETO POWER TO GO THROUGH CUSTOMS. AS
AS I AM THROUGH WITH THE MEETING I SHALL THEN PROCEED TO YOUR ADDRESS.
(SEND YOUR CELL PHONE NUMBER AND THE ADDRESS WHERE YOU WANT ME TO
BRING THE PACKAGE).
YOU HAVE REALLY PAID SO MUCH IN THIS DELIVERY THAT MAKES ME WONDER.YOU
ARE A VERY LUCKY PERSON BECAUSE I SHALL BE BRINGING IT MYSELF AND
THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE CAN DO ABOUT IT. CHECK HERE:
THERE IS ABSOLUTELY GOING TO BE GREAT DOUBT AND DISTRUST IN YOUR HEART
IN RESPECT TO THIS EMAIL COUPLED WITH THE FACT THAT SO MANY
MISCREANTS AND IMPOSERS (SCAMMERS) HAVE TAKEN POSSESSION OF THE
INTERNET TO FACILITATE THEIR NEFARIOUS DEEDS, THEREBY MAKING IT
DIFFICULT FOR GENUINE AND LEGITIMATE BUSINESS CLASS PERSONS TO GET
ATTENTION AND RECOGNITION
YOUR PACKAGE( $35 Million United State Dollars) MUST BE REGISTERED AS
AN AMBASSADORIAL PACKAGE FOR ME TO DEFEAT ALL ODDS AND THE COST OF
REGISTERING IT IS $250 THE FEE MUST BE PAID IN THE NEXT 50 HOURS VIA
WESTERN UNION ONLY, SO THAT ALL NECESSARY ARRANGEMENT CAN BE MADE
BEFORE TIME WILL BE AGAINST US.
YOU SHOULD SEND THE FEE DIRECTLY TO THE CARGO REGISTRATION OFFICERWITH
THE INFO BELOW- THEN AFTER THE PAYMENT YOU SEND ME THE SLIP FOR
Receiver Name;Francis Emefiene Obi
AS SOON AS YOU SEND THE FEE MAKE SURE YOU SEND ME THE PAYMENT
INFORMATION. MY FLIGHT IS TUESDAY AND I EXPECT YOU TO COMPLY BEFORE
THEN SO THAT THE DELIVERY CAN BE COMPLETED. IF YOU DO NOT COMPLY, THEN
IT WILL NOT BE MY FAULT IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE YOUR PACKAGE.
Ambassador uzoma emenike.
RESPOND TO OUR OFFICIAL EMAIL(firstname.lastname@example.org).
Contact my secretary on WhatsApp for more info. :+234-9014339708.