fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advise to" (this email uses bad English)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "power of attorney" (with your bank details and a power of attorney form criminals sometimes empty bank accounts)
- "foreign remittance department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- "central bank of nigeria" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 13:39:47 +0100
Subject: ATTN: BENEFICIARY,ARE YOU DEAD OR ALIVE?URGENT RESPONSE REGARDING
YOUR FUND PAYMENT OF $27,000,000.00 ( TWENTY SEVEN MILLION UNITED STATE
CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA (CBN)
TINUBU SQUARE CUSTOM STREET,
MARINA RD, LAGOS ISLAND, LAGOS.
FOREIGN REMITTANCE DEPARTMENT.
CONTRACT #: MAV/NNPC/FGN/MIN/013,
SWIFT CODE: CBNINGLA,
OUR REF: CBN/IRD/CBX/021/11.
GREETINGS FROM THE BOARD AND MANAGEMENT OF CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA (
CBN ) URGENT RESPONSE REGARDING YOUR FUND APPROVED PAYMENT OF
$27,000,000.00 ( TWENTY SEVEN MILLION UNITED STATE DOLLARS )
My Name is Mr. Godwin Emefiele, Governor of Central Bank Of Nigeria
(CBN) Are you dead or Alive? We need your urgent confirmation to this
Bank today because in our Bank there was a presence of One Mr. Felix
B. Garcia Jr of 94-941 Kauolu place, A-402, Waipahu, HI 96797 USA
filing an application contrary to your fund worth the sum of
$27,000,000.00 ( TWENTY SEVEN MILLION UNITED STATE DOLLARS ) which has
been approved and deposited into our Bank for your immediate payment.
The above mentioned person ( Mr. Felix B. Garcia Jr of 94-941 Kauolu
place, A-402, Waipahu, HI 96797 USA ) visited this Bank today with a
power of attorney given in his favor by you stating that you are dead
and you granted him the benefit to process and claim your inheritance
fund of $27,000,000.00 ( TWENTY SEVEN MILLION UNITED STATE DOLLARS )
with this Bank for personal reasons, He further stated that he is
ready to pay up every necessary fee involve to complete the wire
transfer of your fund into his account that the online account will be
terminated while your fund should be wired direct into his own Bank
account below in American Savings Bank immediately.
Bank Name: American Savings Bank.
Account Number # 3101773052
Routing Number# 321370765
Account Name# Felix B. Garcia Jr.
The management of this Bank wish to know from you today, Did you know
this man? Your confirmation to the above will be appreciated as we
look forward to hear from you soon if you are still alive before the
commence of the transfer of your fund into Mr. Felix B. Garcia Jr
provided bank account, As the new Governor of this Noble Bank, I was
supposed to Release this Funds to Mr. Felix B. Garcia Jr today but i
refused to do so because I wanted to hear from you first to know if
truly you are dead or still alive because due to the Nature of my job
i will not want to make any mistake in Releasing this Funds to anyone
except you whom is the Recognized beneficiary to this Funds therefore
i instructed Mr. Felix B. Garcia Jr to come back to this Bank in the
next 24 Hours for me to make inquiries and further investigations if
you are truly dead. You are advise to quickly call me on my phone
number +2348155662719 and reply back immediately once you receive this
email, As soon as i receive your urgent response to this Bank today
that you are still alive i will quickly proceed with the Processing of
your fund transfer payment into your own account or any other means
which you will desire to receive your fund because it has been
approved for your immediate payment. I look forward to hear from you
as soon as possible in this Bank today.
MR. GODWIN EMEFIELE,
GOVERNOR OF CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA (CBN)
PHONE NUMBER +2348155662719.