fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "is 100% risk free" (almost true for the criminal trying to scam you - arrests of online criminals are rare)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
Fraud email example:
From: "Barrister Miguel Felipe Nesto Esq" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 22:59:07 -0700
Subject: Hello Dear
My sincere apologies for this unsolicited email to you, my name is Barrister Miguel Felipe Nesto. We consult for (NGOs) and Companies on Family Law, Intellectual Property, Real Estate, Wills, Trusts and Taxes.
I am consulting you on business grounds as my deceased client Mr. Frank, whom I have personally worked with for many years died as a result of a heart-related condition on March 12TH 2021, his heart condition was due to the lost of all members of his family during the COVID-19 Pandemic in 2020. He left behind the sum of (10,700,000.00 Euro) Ten Million Seven Hundred Thousand Euros, with a Local Bank here in Spain. This deposit has lasted more than expected period in the Local Bank Security vault, and because of the reforms in Spain and within European financial system after COVID-19 Pandemic. The Local Bank has notified me to introduce a beneficiary or a benefactor of Mr. Frank deposit, failure to respond to this ultimatum would legally allow the Local Bank to confiscate this deposit as unclaimed due to the ongoing financial reforms.
After several researches so far to get hold of someone related to him has proved abortive, as he did not declare any person address, partner or relative in the official paper, which made it difficult for me to locate any. My late client deposit cannot be release unless I introduce someone details to the Local Bank as Next of Kin or relative as indicated in their guidelines. So since you share the same last name with Mr. Frank, I am actually asking for your consent to present your information to these Local Bank as the official beneficiary or a benefactor to this deposit so that the proceeds of this deposit will be release to you if approved.
I would suggest 20% of this money to be shared among Charity Organizations while the remaining 80% is shared equally between us. The deposit does not contain any criminal origin, the procedure will be impeccable without any complication and the process will be completed on the right time. I shall provide all the legal requested documents that may be requires for these procedures. All I require from you is your trust and good cooperation.
I am convinced that this is 100% risk free, that you should not entertain any atom of fear. The fact is that I just donât want my late client deposit to be declared as unclaimed by the management of the Local Bank or confiscated by the government as a result of the financial reform.
Note: If my approach offends your moral ethics do accept my sincere apology, if on the contrary you wish to work with me on this, kindly get back to me with your interest for more details on my direct private contact below:
Barrister Miguel Felipe Nesto Esq.