fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "international remittance department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "CAPITAL ONE BANK"<firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 20:50:56 +0100
Subject: CAPITAL ONE BANK.U.S.A
CAPITAL ONE BANK.U.S.A 2301 E Riverside Dr, Austin, TX 78741,United States.=
Unclaimed Asset/Assets Re-united, USA International Remittance Department =
Tel: +1 (512) 45566604 Fax: +1 (512) 4567665 Our Ref: BR/102/0005B/90 =3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D URGENT TRANSFER OF YOUR US$4,500,000.00 Atte=
ntion Beneficiary In fight against corruption in the Banking system and in =
pursuit to re-build a good relationship with foreigners by the President of=
the United States of America. We wish to inform you that every files and r=
eports concerning international payment of all the foreign beneficiaries wa=
s brought to my office in the Order and instruction of the U.S Department o=
f States and U.S Department of Treasury. I must confess that i shared tears=
after seeing your unclaimed and uncompleted transactions, It was a nationa=
l slap and a disgrace to this Country after noticing that your have paid fo=
r all the fee to receive your fund but your funds never got to your bank ac=
count because of the selfish interest of the banks and Individuals mandated=
to transfer and release your fund to your bank account. The U.S Department=
of States and U.S Department of Treasury has approved a compensation payme=
nt of US $4,500,000.00 in your name which shall be transfer to your bank ac=
count through an online, We will create an online bank in your name and you=
will transfer your fund by yourself through our online to your bank accoun=
t. We chose to transfer your fund through an online banking so that no Agen=
cy will notice or stop your fund. Sir/Ma, you shall receive this compensati=
on fund within 3 working day, if you comply with our instructions and adher=
e to our directives. Get back to us with your information as listed below. =
Your Full Name: Address: Phone number: Age and Occupation: Next of Kin: Sca=
n Copy of your identification Thank you for your mutual understanding and c=
ooperation as we wait to read from you soonest. Yours Faithfully, MR FREDER=
IC BEACH JENNINGS JR ONLINE MANAGER CONTROLLER=20