fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: 08 Sep 2022 21:43:52 +0200
Hello my dear,
How are you once again, I hope you remember me?i work with
Citibank of UK in London.Remember that i once told you that one
of our later client Mr. Andreas Schranner a German property
magnate and also a businessman, made a numbered fixed deposit for
18 calendar months, with a value of Eleven millions Five
Hundred Thousand United State Dollars Only (USD$11.5M) in my
branch before he died. I'm very much glad to inform you about my
success in getting the fund Transferred under the cooperation of
a new partner from Dakar Senegal in West Africa who is based in
Canada. Presently we are in for some investment. So, I am very
happy that I finally got the fund transferred.
Meanwhile, I did not forget your past Efforts and encouragement.
This is to inform you That I left a VISA ATM CARD that contains
($ 450,000,00 USD) for you, just to appreciate your past effort.
Feel free to contact DHL office for your parcel
DHL Email: ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
contact them for the ATM VISA CARD,
Ask the DHL Office to post the card to you through DHL delivery
service, with the card you can withdraw the money from any bank
there in your country or anywhere in the world. I do appreciate
your efforts that is why I decided to Compensate you With this
amount of money. so feel free to get in touch With them, direct
them Where or how to post it for you. And also send them your
Please do let me know Immediately you received it so we can share
our joy together and forget all the Sufferings in the past. I am
very busy here because of the investment projects Which my
partner and I are Having at hand. I have also informed the DHL
about you and they will be waiting for your email. Therefore
Establish Contacts With them for the delivery of the ATM VISA
CARD, without any delay. Take care
God bless you,