fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Emidon Obo <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 08:30:12 -0700
Subject: DELTA CARGO
We are writing you from the Delta Cargo Delivery Company in the
respect of your consignment box worth $10.8 Millions United State
Dollars registered through Delta Cargo Delivery Company. Your
Consignment box has been in our custody in some recent months now .so
your Consignment fund will be deliver to your house address within
24hours depending on your quick responds and taking this information
so genuinely .
We have been instructed by United Nations Office (UN) Compensation
Settlement Of Escrow Accounts to successful delivered to your house
address or your country respectively . Your maximum cooperation
regarding this message is highly appreciate and look forward to your
immediate respond .
So you are require to l confirm your below information to avoid any
kind of mistake in this delivery ð
I wait for your urgent respond now to continue this delivery.