fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear beneficiary," (this SPAM email was probably sent to thousands of people)
- "high court" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "executive governor" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "central bank of nigeria" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "MR. GODWIN EMEFIELE" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 23:43:31 -0700
Subject: LIST OF OUTSTANDING FUNDS
*Dear Beneficiary,My name is Mr. Godwin Emefiele the Executive Governor Of
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the Executive Chairman of "E.C.D.R".I
discovered that yourname and email address (in the Central Computer among
the list of unpaid contractors, inheritance next of kin and lotto
beneficiaries that originatedfrom Africa (Nigerian Government) Europe, Asia
Plus Middleeast,Americans) among the list of individuals and companies that
your unpaid fund has been located to a suspense account.Your name appeared
among the beneficiaries who will receive part-payment of $25 million and
has been approved already for Payment.yesterday two foreigners (Mr. Tim
Parker and Mr. Rowland Gulf) visited my office in your stead to inform me
that they are yourRepresentatives from United State, whom you send to
collecting yourFunds for you.We in this Bank do not understand why you sent
these men to come andCollect your Funds on your behalf. If actually you
want them to help you Collect your Inheritance Bill Sum,at least you should
have informed me as the new Executive Governor of this Bank. They actually
rendered some Vital Documents which Proved that you actually sent them for
the Collection of these Funds. Honestly, it really baffles me that you took
such a decision without my consent.Here is the Document which they tender
to this Bank today:1. LETTER OF ADMINISTRATION.2. HIGH COURT INJUNCTION.3.
ORDER TO RELEASE.Actually, these Documents which they tendered to this
Noble Bank is aclear Proof that you sent them to Collect this Funds for
you.You have to reconfirm your immediately contract so i can contract you
whatsapp immediately okay1. Your Full Name :2. Name of your country :3.
Your Whatsapp Number :Make sure you confirm the information so i can
massage you WhatsApp immediately okay for more information or you massage
me on here is my WhatsApp number(+234-9041275695)Due to the Nature of my
job, I will not want to make any mistake IN Releasing these Funds to anyone
except you who is the Recognized Bonfire Beneficiary to these Funds. Kindly
clarify us on this issue before we make this Payment to these foreigners
who came on your behalf. In receipt of this confidential Letter, you are
required to email this Bank immediately you receive this Confidential
Letterboard you can contact me with my direct telephone
below.+234-9041275695OFFICIALLY SIGNED <http://signed.mr/>*
<email@example.com>)Whatsapp Number +234-9041275695*