fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following fake company names, fake addresses, non-existent institutions/documents or other details have appeared in scams before:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear sir/madam" (a standard Nigerian greeting phrase)
- "diplomatic immunity" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "abuja" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "MAJOR GENERAL BABAGANA MONGUNO." <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 09:18:55 -0700
Subject: CONFIDENTIAL DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY PAYMENT
Aso Rock VILLA,ASOKORO DISTRICT,ABUJA
DIRECT SECURITY LINE +2347036588092,
CONFIDENTIAL DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY PAYMENT
I am the new National Security Adviser Major General BABAGANA MONGUNO
to the President Muhammadu Buhari Federal Republic of Nigeria I am
delighted to inform you that the Inheritance/contract panel, which
just concluded itâs seating in LONDON & ONTARIO through my office
here in Abuja just released your name amongst contractors, inheritance
claimants and others various unpaid beneficiaries to benefit from
the CODED CASH DELIVERY IMMUNITY PAYMENT.
This Panel was primarily delegated to investigate manipulated contract
Funds,Inheritance Claims, unpaid Lottery Funds and other outstanding
debts owed to various individual/s thus, the effect of this
outstanding debts globally has reduced foreign investors to Nigeria
from what it used to be to zero level .
Therefore the country is bedeviling with corruption and Debts of
various kinds,that is why we decided to reduce our debt profile by
conveying cash coded payment under a strong arrangement, which might
also interest you in as much as you needed your long awaited fund.
In line with this arrangement, we wished to bring to your notice that
your PAYMENT PROFILE is still reflecting in our central computer as
unpaid BENEFICIARY while auditing was going on.
I, MAJOR GENERAL BABAGANA MONGUNO National Security Adviser to the
President Federal Republic of Nigeria have concluded to send to you a
part payment of your fund value of 8.2 Million USD, to you via our
designated agency under the care of FEDERAL APPOINTEE (an Envoy )who
sees the supervision down to your country and I have
secured every needed documents to cover the FUND in order to save you
from any hurdle of Documentation.
Note: The Fund is coming in 2 security Vaults (boxes). The Vaults are
sealed with synthetic seals and padded with machines.
Kindly be informed that you don't have to worry for anything, as the
arrangement is 100% OK and risk free.
The boxes will be accompanied by an Envoy who will ensure that they
arrive in your country safely for final (Delivery) and hand over to
All you need to do right now is to send to me your full Name, Home
address or Office address depending on your preference and your
identity such as, international Passport or driver's license and your
mobile phone or other telephone numbers where to reach you as soon as
they arrive in your country.
There will be an Attachee(representative) to assist the envoy. He will
call you immediately when he arrives in your country's territory.so,I
hope you understand me..
Also, You have to be mindful of your statement and public utterance as
this payment is highly CODED.
Finally, more information will be made available to you upon the
receipt of your response.
In case of anything that you don't understand do try and contact me
on this phone number +2347036588092 for further clarification.
Also, I need an urgent reply because the boxes are scheduled to leave
as soon as I hear from you.
Call me immediately On this Number +2347036588092. Email Address:
+ Add to contacts
CONGRATULATION IN ADVANCE
MAJOR GENERAL BABAGANA MONGUNO. (Allen Coker Personal Aide)
NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISER TO THE PRESIDENT
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.