fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "loan amount" (Beware of fake loan offers. Real lenders would not normally use free webmail addresses such as Yahoo, nor would they lend to individuals or small businesses in a different country from where they are based. Beware of mobile phones or redirector numbers!)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Mariano T Betty <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 01:00:06 -0700
Hello, I'm here to testify of how i got my real estate business loan
amount â¬560k from Prof.Cindy Alberto Kauk. I don't know if you are in
need of an urgent loan to pay bills, start business or build a house,
they offer all kinds of loan Ranging from $5,000.00USD to
$2,000,000.00USD with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1
to 33 years to pay back the loan secure and unsecured. Are you losing
sleep at nights worrying how to get a Legit Loan Lender?
Mrs.Cindy Alberto Kauk holds all of the information about how to
obtain money quickly and painlessly without cost/stress via Contacts
They offer all kind of categories of loans
Short term loan (1_10years)
Long term loan (20_33 years)
They offer loan like
Home loan............., Business loan........ Debt consolidation loan .......
Student loan..........,Business start up loan
Business loan....... , Company loan..............Mortgages loan
construction loan.....car loan........ hotel loan....personal loans..
Investment Loan.......Commercial Loan........Refinancing Loans
Truck Loans............Farm Loan etc.
Email..........(firstname.lastname@example.org) Phone +1(315)256-0479
When it comes to financial crisis and you need to be free from
financial crisis then MRS.CINDY ALBERTO is the right answer...