fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a "New Partner from Paraguay" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Ms.Grace Ibeh" <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 12:20:11 -0700
Subject: Hi Dear,
I'm happy to inform you about my success in getting those funds
transferred under the cooperation of a new partner from
Japan.Presently I'm in Japan for investment projects with my own share
of the total sum,Meanwhile, I didn't forget your past efforts and
attempts to assist me in transferring those funds despite that it
failed us some how.
Now contact my secretary, her name is Ms.Grace Ibeh
,Email;(firstname.lastname@example.org ) ask she to send you the total
$650,000.00 which I kept for your compensation for all the past
efforts and attempts to assist me in this matter. I appreciated your
efforts at that time very much. so feel free and get in touched with
secretary Ms.Grace Ibeh and instruct her where to send the amount to
Please do let me know immediately you receive it so that we can share
the joy after all the sufferer at that time. in the moment, I am very
busy here in Japan because of the investment projects which me and the
new partner are having at hand finally ,remember that I had forwarded
instruction to my secretary on your behalf to receive that money, so
feel free to get in touch with Ms.Grace Ibeh and she will send the
amount to you without any delay,