fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "dear beneficiary," (this SPAM email was probably sent to thousands of people)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- attn: lambert huddles (remittance director) e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org website: www.citibank.com contact the bank today and (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. X" <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 02:17:57 +0100
Subject: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR.FBI?
FROM THE DESK OF THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR;
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION FBI.WASHINGTON DC.
We hope this notification arrives meeting your good health and mind. (FBI) =
Washington, DC in conjunction with some other relevant investigation agenci=
es here in the United STATES of America have
recently been informed through our Global intelligence monitoring network t=
hat you have an over-due payment in tune of USD 10.3M Citibank.
It might interest you to know that we have taken our time in
screening through this project as stipulated on our protocol of operation a=
nd have finally confirmed that your payment/transaction with Citibank is 10=
0% genuine and hitch free from all facets and of which you have the lawful =
right to claim your fund without any further delay. Having said all this, w=
e will further advise that you go ahead
in dealing with the Citibank, AL accordingly as we will be monitoring all t=
heir activities with you as well as your correspondence at all levels.
NOTE: There are numerous scam emails on the internet, imposters impersonati=
ng names and images. We therefore warn our dear citizens to be very careful=
with any claim email you receive prior to these
irregularities so that they do not fall victim to this ugly circumstance an=
ymore. And should in case you are already dealing with anybody or office cl=
aiming that you have a payment with them, you are
to STOP further contact with them immediately in your best interest and con=
tact the real bank (Citibank) only where your fund is deposited, with the b=
Bank Name: Citibank
Address: 815 D Pelham Rd, Jacksonville, AL 36265.
Attn: Lambert Huddles
Contact the bank today and furnish them with this information below
for processing of your payment/funds
DIRECT CONTACT NUMBER:
NOTE: In your best interest, any message that does not come from the above =
email address with phone number should be ified and avoided immediately for=
Meanwhile, we will advise that you
contact the Citibank office in Phenix City Alabama immediately with the abo=
ve email address and request that they attend to your payment
file as directed so as to enable you receive your payment/fund accordingly.
Ensure you follow all directives from Citibank as this will further help ha=
sten up the whole payment process in regard to the transfer of your fund to=
you as designated. Also have in mind that the Citibank
equally has their own protocol of operation as stipulated on their banking =
terms. All modalities have already been worked out before you were contacte=
d and note that we
will be monitoring all your dealings with them as you proceed so you don't =
have anything to worry about.
All we require from you henceforth is an update so as to enable us to be on=
track with you and Citibank. Without wasting much time, we will want you t=
o contact them immediately with the above email address and phone number to=
enable them attend to your case accordingly
without any further delay as time is already running out.
Should in case you need any more information in regard to this notification=
, feel free to get back to us via email so that we can brief you more as we=
are here to guide you during and after this
project has been completely perfect and you have received your payment/fund=
Thank you very much for your anticipated co-operation.
Christopher A. Wray
Federal Bureau of Investigation.
J. Edgar Hoover Building
935 Pennsylvania Avenue,
NW Washington, D.C.