fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. X"
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 08:22:43 -0700
Subject: Your should contact my secretary
Dear friend Contact my secretary with this Email ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
I am sorry, but to tell your about my successes getting the fund remitted through a co-operation of new business partner from U-Emirates I tried my possible best to involves youâre in Gold and Diamond business, Almighty decided whole conditions I am presently in Bangladesh for project/investments with my owner percentage share of total fund sum
I donât forget you past attempts/effort for assists me in remittance of the fund despite that itâs failed us that period time
Your should contact my secretary in Burkina Faso
Name. Mr Joe Fisher
Tell/advice him to send your ATM Visa Card sum of (USD $2,500,000) I kept for you compensations in all past attempts/effort your made for assist me in past I so much appreciated your assist/effort during the period time so feel free get in touch with my secretary his name Mr Fisher Joe, instructs him where to send the ATM Visa Card worth of (USD $2,500,000) to your
This amount is me and my new partner contributed it to offered your amount (USD $1,500,000) is from my own percentage share then my new partner offered your (USD $1,000,000) from his own percentage share because I explained everything to him that your are first person I contacted who assisting me but your couldnât make it he says okay thereâs no problem
Now your should keep everything secret/confidential for my successfully because I know that it was your only knew how I made this money in life so kept everything secret/confidential, I hope your understood reason why this big amount of money was kept for your??
Please du inform me immediately you received the ATM Visa Card sum of (USD $2,500,000) so that we will share our joys after all suffering at past time period am very here because I and my new partner having big investment projects at hands now
Your should remembered that I have forward instructions to the secretary on your behalf to send the ATM Visa Card to you immediately, feel free to contact the secretary so that he will send the ATM Visa Card sum of Two Million Five-Hundred Thousand United State Dollars (USD $2,500,000) to you immediately without west any time
Mrs. Elizabeth Thomas