fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "i will like you to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Deborah Parr <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 23:41:53 +0200
My Dearest One:
My name is Mrs. Deborah Par from Estonia, I am married to a South
Africa CITIZEN Born and Brought Up In Switzerland , I am a new
Christian convert, suffering from long term cancer of the breast,
presently hospitalized here in South Africa. I do not have any
children of my own due to my bad health conditions. All indications
from my doctor that my condition is really worsening and it is quite
obvious that I wouldnât live more than two months, according to my
doctors and in all indications regarding medical analysis.
I have been touched by God to donate the money I inherited from my
late husband to you for the work of God, Also, I will like you to
build orphanage home in my late husband's name and help churches,
mosques, Orphanages, widows and communities Also, focus on the poor
people and victims of all Kinds of diseases etc, Please I don't mind
if you are a Christian or Muslim or Hindus or Buddhist rather my only
paramount concern here is whether I can trust you because this
generation is filled up with greedy. However, I will be going in for
another surgery soon. Meanwhile, I have decided to WILLED the sum of
US$30.5million US Dollars to you to carry out the project as I have
stated above, You Will Also Get 30% Of The Money as your
compensation for helping me fulfilled this desire of donation, please
Let me know if you can perform this humanitarian duty on me and my
behalf, so that I will provide you more details after knowing your
willingness to handle this fund with fear of God.
Kindly contact me with my private email for further discussion below.
Email Address: email@example.com
Thanks and God bless.
Mrs. Deborah Par