fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "nigeria national petroleum corporation" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "abuja" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: Greg Olisa <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 22:48:35 +0100
Subject: Can We Work Together?
I introduce my self as an auditor in foreign audit service with the
Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation.
On behalf of my other two colleagues, I sincerely seek for your
assistance to represent as our foreign investor in receiving a secured
accrued executed contract sum of US$12.5 Million (US) Dollars.
It is agreed that 40% of the total fund will be for your good
assistance, 60% for I and my colleagues.The process is 100% safe and
legit.Please note also that the fund, after sharing, will be in your
possession for investment in your country for a good period of five
This should be on top confidential arrangement and please simply
ignore if you are not interested.
NNPC Towers, Central Business District,
Herbert Macaulay Way,