fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: CCB DPT <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 18:49:45 +0100
Subject: USD$ 10.5 Million
Your Family Valuable Gifts.
I've cashed your draft/cheque in worth of $10.5Million United
State Dollars for your overdue payments, due to the expiry I boxed the
money and deposited with shipment of UPS COURIER COMPANY Nigeria, so
to deliver the boxed to you, to avoid another hoax as you were
disappointed in the past. So youâre requested to contact the UPS
COURIER COMPANY with your delivery address and your telephone numbers
so they shall commence immediately to deliver the Consigned box to
your nominated address.
Bellow is their contact. Contact Person: Dr. Anderson
Jeffered.Director of the said Company Email (firstname.lastname@example.org).Try
to indicate all this CODES to them because it will prove that you are
the due person that own the Consignment Box deposited in their
SHIPMENT CODE AWB 33XZS
PACKAGE REGISTERED CODE NO XGT442.
SECURITY CODE SCTC/2001DHX/567/
CERTIFICATE DEPOSIT CODE SCTC/BUN/xxiv/-78/01
Note; The UPS COURIER COMPANY don't know the contents of the Box.I
registered it as a Box of a FAMILY VALUABLE TREASURE.They don't know
that it contents $10.5Million.This is to avoid them delay with the
Box.Don't let them know Content of the Box. Please make sure you send
this needed information to the Director General of UPS COURIER COMPANY
Nigeria Dr. Anderson Jeffered. with the address given to you. So
contact UPS COURIER COMPANY Nigeria today and try to contact them with
your personal information listed bellow;
Your Nearest Airport..........
Dr. Anderson Jeffered.Director
Dr Jerry Cook(ESQ).