fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "barr." (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Antonio 111 <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 04:03:11 -0700
Subject: New development
ATTENTION : ,
This is to inform you that you are now going to receive your fund in
their affiliate office in France payment center or, any other of their
affiliate office. hence presently, i have gotten an a sponsor from
France who is willing to carter for the expenses on your behalf since
you are unable. note, the sponsor will be taking 10% out of the total
sum $40 million USD after your fund must have transferred into your
The conditions mentioned in the payment arrangement are short listed below.
1. YOU WILL HAVE TO TRAVEL TO FRENCH GUIANA FIRST TO MEET WITH THE
SPONSOR FOR THE SIGNING OF YOUR SECURE PAYMENT DOCUMENT AND PRESENT TO
FRANCE PAYMENT CENTER WITH THE GIFT WHERE YOU WILL RECEIVE YOUR FUND
AS THE BENEFICIARY AS SOON AS YOU ARRIVE IN FRANCE OR ANY OTHER OF
THEIR AFFILIATE OFFICE.
2. NO MORE UPFRONT PAYMENT REQUIRED FROM YOU AS THE BENEFICIARY.
3.YOUR FLIGHT TICKETS WILL BE CATERED BY THE SPONSOR.
4. YOUR HOTEL RESERVATION / ACCOMMODATION WILL BE PROVIDED BY THE SPONSOR.
5. YOUR JOURNEY /TRIP TO FRANCE YOUR PAYMENT CENTER WILL NOT TAKE MORE
THAN SIX DAYS TO FINALIZE YOUR PAYMENT.
6. YOUR DUTY IS TO PROVIDE YOUR VALID PASSPORT AND READINESS TO FLY TO
THE PAYING CENTER AT NO EXPENSES FROM YOU AS YOU NEED NO VISA. NOTE,
YOU ARE TRAVELING TO FRENCH GUIANA FIRST TO MEET WITH THE SPONSOR FOR
THE DOCUMENT AND THEN PROCEED TO THEIR AFFILIATE OFFICE IN FRANCE
THEIR PAYMENT CENTER TO MEET WITH THE OFFICIALS FOR THE FINAL RELEASE
OF YOUR FUND.
BE MINDFUL, YOU ARE ALSO TRAVELING TO THE PAYMENT CENTER FRANCE TO
PRESENT ALL YOUR FUNDS SECURE PAYMENT DOCUMENTS THAT BACK UP YOUR
CLAIM AS THE BENEFICIARY. AS SOON AS YOU SIGN ALL THE NECESSARY
DOCUMENTS THAT BACK UP YOUR CLAIM, THE OFFICIALS WILL THEN NOW HAVE
THE FULL OFFICIAL RIGHT TO RELEASE YOUR FUND TO YOU AS THE BENEFICIARY
WITHOUT ANY FURTHER DELAY.
7. SEND YOUR CURRENT AND DIRECT TELEPHONE NUMBER AND YOUR CONTACT ADDRESS.
8. SEND YOUR INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT.
THEREFORE, UPON THE RECEIPT OF YOUR DETAILS, THE INVESTOR WILL SEND
YOUR FLIGHT TICKET TO YOU WITHOUT DELAY. CONGRATULATIONS.
I WILL COME OVER THERE IN YOUR COUNTRY TO MEET WITH YOU FOR MY OWN
PERCENTAGE AS WE HAVE AGREED AFTER YOUR FUND MUST HAVE TRANSFERRED
INTO YOUR ACCOUNT.
THANKS FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING