fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "confidentiality of this transaction" (scammers urge victims to keep the transaction secret because they don't want anyone to point out to them that it is a scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: LINDI ZULU <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 12:06:26 +0200
FROM OFFICE OF LINDIWE DAPHNEY ZULU
Minister of Social Development,
REPUBLIC OF SOUTH AFRICA
Good day let me start by introducing myself My name is Ms Lindiwe
Daphney Zulu ,I am a Widow, a mother of three children and former
Minister of Small Business Development of the Republic of South Africa
under the auspices of the former President of South Africa, Mr.Jacob
Zuma, i was former.special advisor to the President on International
under the auspices of the new President of South Africa, Mr.Cyril
Ramaphosa and now presently the Minister of Social Development from
2019-05-30. After due deliberation with my children, I decided to
contact you for your assistance in standing as a beneficiary to the
sum of US$20.5M (Twenty Million, Five Hundred Thousand United States
Dollars Only).You can view my profile at my (website by clicking
(http://www.women.gov.za ) and read about me and .
THE PROPOSAL, after my swearing in ceremony making me the former
special advisor to the President on International Relations , my
husband Mr.Kgositsile Itholeng died After a short illness. After his
death, I discovered that he had some funds in a dollar account which
amounted to the sum of US$20.5 Million with a security and finance
institution in South Africa of which I will divulge information to you
when I get your full consent and support to go for a change of
beneficiary and subsequent transfer of the funds into your comfortable
and conducive account of your choice. This fund emanated as a result
of an over-invoiced contract which he executed with the Government of
South Africa. Though I assisted him in getting this contract but I
never knew that it was over-invoiced by him.I am afraid that
government of South Africa have start to investigate on contracts
awarded from 1990 to date.
If they discover this money in his security company account, they will
confiscate it and seize his assets here in South Africa and this will
definitely affect my political career in, government. I want your
assistance either by coming down to South Africa in person or provide
your complete bank details information, so that these funds could be
wired directly into your overseas account without any hitch. I am
offering you 20% of the principal sum which amounts to US$5,100.000.00
(Five million One Hundred Thousand United States Dollars Only) and 5%
will be for any expenses that both of us may Incure in this
transaction. And another 5% will go for Motherless babies home.
However, you have to assure me and also be ready to go into agreement
with me that you will not elope with my fund. If you agree to my
terms, kindly as a matter of urgency send me an email to
Also I can give you my banker phone number so that you can contact him
and discuss with him directly as he already promised to use his
position to move this fund out of South Africa, Please I do not need
to remind you of the need for absolute Confidentiality of this
My regards to your family
MS.LINDIWE DAPHNEY ZULU