fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "contact me immediately" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "James Patrick" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 09:59:45 +0100
Subject: From James Patrick UK
For Your Attention: PROJECT / BUSINESS FUNDING
I am James Patrick I represent a UK Based Investment Company with representative office in London, as the Director Investment Services.
We are currently providing soft Loan/funding at a guaranteed 3% interest rate PA.
Projects of all types and the duration ranging from 2 years to 10 years term, We are also Providing financial instrument such as BG ,SBLC Bank Draft and other Financial Instruments for Monetization and Credit enhancement We have the financial capacity to fund projects/businesses between $1 Million up to $25 Billion USD for Private and cooperate firms, as loans. So, if you have any viable project/ business and you are interested in funding for your project as a loan, kindly revert back to us with your business or project plan via email:firstname.lastname@example.org for review and consideration. We will be glad to work with you for mutual benefit Your expression of interest in our services will be highly appreciated.
Contact me immediately for more clarification.