fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "NOTIFICATION OF PAYMENT" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 22:43:47 -1200
Subject: WIRE TRANSFER??
Attn: Funds Beneficiary,
Your US$20.5M has been registered with U.S Dept of the Treasury and International Monetary Fund (IMF) including European Parliament and Asia Government to release your fund immediately without any further delay.
Your outstanding payment will be release to you immediately you provide your details listed below:
1) Your full Name:
2) Your Full Address:
3) Phones, Fax and Mobile No:
4) Profession, Age and Marital Status:
5) Copy of any valid form of your Identification:
Meanwhile all legal documents will be release to you before your fund will be credit into your bank account.
Thanks for your maximum co-operation.
Department Of The Treasury Direct-Account
Director of Accountant and United Nation