fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- loan. loans approved in 4hours, you can email= us at email@example.com we can help you with your application.= you can borrow (Financier; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "IFC" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 17:33:14 +1100
Subject: Do you need FINANCIAL assistance !!!
Are you blacklisted? Struggling to get a personal loan? Has your applicatio=
n been DECLINED due to Low Credit Score? Over COMMITTED? Affordability? But=
you know you can afford this loan. Loans Approved in 4hours, you can email=
us at email@example.com We can help you with your application.=
You can BORROW any amount and use it to pay off all your debts,speak to us=
and we will assist you. If you where turned down we welcome you to re-appl=
y with us. Try us for real service. We will review the application and keep=
you informed every step. =95 Loans For Any Purpose. Start up a new profita=
ble Business. =95 Apply Instantly Now =95 Your Money In 24 Hours =95 No Per=
sonal Credit CHECKS Apply for no credit check loan We are standing by to fi=
nance your dream. For more info email us with your email us at impactfundsc=
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.