fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Theresa Brown <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 16:01:28 +0100
Subject: Hello My Dearest( Can I Trust You)
Hello My Dearest
My name is Mrs. Theresa Brown, I am a dying woman who had decided to
donate what I have to a reliable individual who will act as I will
instruct here. I am 69 years old and was diagnosed for cancer about
3years ago. I have been touched by God to donate from what I have
inherited from my late father to you for the good work of God, rather
than allow my uncle to use my father hard earned funds ungodly.
I will be undergoing an operation in London , and I pray that I
survive the operation.
I have decided to WILL the sum of $7,000,000.00 USD (Seven Million
United States Dollars Only) deposited in a security company, to you
for the good work of the lord, the orphanage, the needy and to help
Presently, I have informed my Doctor, Dr. John Kelvin's about my
decision in WILLING this fund to a reliable individual, you are to get
back to me immediately if you are interested in carrying out this
task, so that I will instruct you on how to get in touch with my
Lastly, I know I have never meet you, but in other to fulfill this
which borders me most and I got your email address through my personal
search on the Internet, my mind tells me to inform you about this, and
I hope you act sincerely, please get back to me immediately.
God bless you.
Mrs. Theresa Brown