fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "your urgent reply" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "UBA BANK" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 04:57:44 -0700
Subject: COMPENSATION PAYMENT
Dear Beneficiary ,
We have actually been authorized by the newly appointed Bank Board
under IMF and the governing body of the United Nations Monetary Unit
to investigate the unclaimed funds which has been due for a long run
in Africa government which have make owners to be confused that they
have been Defrauded by wrong officials in Central Bank misusing their
office name , During the course of our investigation According to the
data storage record from our system with your email address, your
payment was among the list of 150 Beneficiaries categorized as:
Undelivered funds; (Incomplete Transfer) inheritance / contract funds etc.
we discovered with dismay that your payment has been unnecessarily
delayed by corrupt officials of the Bank in attempt to swindle your
fund which has led to so many losses from your end and unnecessary
delay in the receipt of your payment.
The United Nations and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has
chosen to pay out all the compensation funds to 150 Beneficiaries
from EUROPE , ASIA, America, Qatar, and Kingdom of Saudi Arabia,
Africa all Over World through ATM Visa Card as this is a global payments
technology that enables consumers, businesses, financial institutions
and governments to use digital currency instead of Cash and Che-ques.
We have arranged your payment to be paid to you through an ATM Visa
Card and this will be issued on your Name and shall deliver
directly to your address via Courier Company OR bank to bank online
wire transfer .
Upon your contact with us, the sum of (US$10,500,000.00) USD will be
credited into the ATM Visa Card or bank transfer this will enable you to withdraw
your funds in any ATM Machines in your country with a minimum
withdrawal of 5,500.00 per day or through online bank service.
Your limit can be increased per day upon your request.
Contact paying option bank agent
(UBS) via Email address: email@example.com
Please your urgent reply is needed with below
U.B.A Bank Director (newly appointed by Apex Bank Board to
handle the foreign inheritance/contract files,
FULL NAME: ==============
CURRENT HOME ADDRESS:===========
TELEPHONE/CELL PHONE NUMBER.=========
SEX/A COPY OF YOUR IDENTIFICATION===============
All you have to do is to endeavor your greatest to see that you send the
information slated above for you to receive your fund
Director Tony Elumelu
U.B.A Bank Director