fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear sir/madam" (a standard Nigerian greeting phrase)
- "inheritance funds" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Citromail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: =?UTF-8?Q?Mrs=2E_Val=C3=A9rie_Urbain?= <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 08:08:12 +0100
Subject: GET BACK TO ME ASAP
>From Desk of Mrs. ValÃ©rie Urbain,
Chief Business officer of Euroclear Group
Address Bd Roi Albert II 1, 1210
Dear Unpaid Beneficiary
We deemed it fit to inform you that after due consultation with all the
world bodies concerned in monetary affairs, we are contacting you to inform
you the following:
We have been directed by the Governing Boards of the FBI and IMF/ World
Bank,to investigate reports of unpaid global debts originated from
contracts, inheritance,lottery and compensation by banks across the
continents of the world and give reports/ recommendations.
This Investigation has been carried out diligently, and we discovered with
utmost dismay that the delay on all unpaid debts on the above mentioned has
been intentional by some corrupt officials of banks trying to divert or
confiscate beneficiaries funds for their private use. Therefore, you are
legally and highly notified with every absolute authorization on your funds
US$10.5M and transaction long awaited release set up to fight against scams
and frauds activities ravening World Wide.
In a nutshell, the concerns are as follows. This is to notify you that your
overdue LOTTERY WINNING/ INHERITANCE FUNDS/AND CONTRACT PAYMENT has been
gazette to be released to you, via key telex transfer (KTT)-direct wire
transfer to your bank account through the Affiliated Bank. (KBC GROUP BANK)
However, adequate arrangement has been put in place to be released the fund
to you, via key telex transfer (KTT)-direct wire transfer to your bank
account through our Affiliated Bank within 7 working days.We do this
jointly with Euroclear.com This payment is secured,irrevocable and it is
100% backed up by Euroclear: check the website: www.euroclear.com
PLEASE IF YOU ARE STILL ALIVE AND INTERESTED TO CLAIM YOUR FUND you should
get back to this office on this email ID < email@example.com > with your
full name and address for more directives on how you are going to receive
your fund through the Affiliated Bank.(KBC GROUP BANK).
I await your early reply to this message.
Mrs. ValÃ©rie Urbain,
Chief Business officer of Euroclear Group.
E-mail ID: firstname.lastname@example.org