fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "loan amount" (Beware of fake loan offers. Real lenders would not normally use free webmail addresses such as Yahoo, nor would they lend to individuals or small businesses in a different country from where they are based. Beware of mobile phones or redirector numbers!)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Zion NetCredit LLC"<email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 17:56:08 -0600
Subject: Need urgent personal/business loan?
Ladies and gentlemen,
We offer all purpose loans, apply to Zion NetCredit LLC now and get fund=
ing approval within 3 business days.
- Minimum loan amount: AC10,000 EUR
- Maximum loan amount: AC 10,000,000 EUR
- Interest: 2% per year
For more information, email the company directly: firstname.lastname@example.org N=
State and country:
Required loan amount:
Date of Birth (from):
Replacement email address:
We will wait for your details and then you will be provided with the loan =
terms and monthly repayment schedules that you can accept.
God bless you
Mr Bernard Michael.
CEO: Zion NetCredit LLC