fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "dear beneficiary," (this SPAM email was probably sent to thousands of people)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Retired Reverend Steve Parckers <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 23:10:37 -0700
Subject: Contact FEDEX COMPANY for your shipment.
This is to bring you notice that the issuing bank has released your
inheritance fund value (Us$3.500,000.00 Dollars) US$ 3.5 Million They
converted the fund into ATM CARD,The A.T.M have been programmed by the
issuing bank,note that the issuing bank has package the ATM with
secret code and registered it with FEDERAL EXPRESS COMPANY to delivery
to you,your ATM card number is (5428050011004432)and the Security pin
code has been credited in your favor,your personal Identification
number is 822.YOU HAVE TO FORWARD IT TO FEDEX COMPANY FOR
Contact FEDEX COMPANY for the shipment.
According to the approval of your ATM CARD by the manager of the
issuing bank,the maximum amount sign for you to be withdrawing is sum
of $3,000 usd only daily until you withdraw all your total fund
credited on your ATM account(Us$3.500,000.00 Dollars),
FedEx Shipping Center.
We have your below contact detail here on your payment file which we
have already submitted to the FedEx office .
But for reconfirmation & to ensure accurateness, you are advice to
also provide them your full contact details as stated below:
1. Your full name................
2. Contact Address..........
3. Private telephone number...................
6. Country Of Origin......
7. Attached any of Your Identification Copy........
Your should pay $105 USD,to FedEx Company for the shipping charges.
FedEx Company will contact you with the waybill tracking number
immediately after you have paid for the ATM CARD shipping charge to
dispatch your parcel from FedEx Office to your country.
Retired Reverend Steve Parckers .
For the Management .
Contact FEDEX COMPANY for your shipment.