fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "swift card payment center" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "(ecowas)" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "ecowas " (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- information: contact: dr nelson williams email: email@example.com phone number: +229-97674044 and also send the following (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Ray Mathins <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 17:53:30 -0800
Subject: ATM MATSER CARD ACTIVATION
Attn:The Owner of this E-mail id,
Your Name And Your Contact Details Was Given To This Office In Respect
Of Your Total lnherited/Compensation Sum Owed To You Which You Have
Failed To Claim Because Of Either Non-Compliance Of Official Processes
Or Because Of Your Unbelief Of The Reality Of Your Genuine Payment. We
Wish To Bring To You The Solution To This Problem. Right Now We Have
Arranged Your Payment Through Our Swift Card Payment Centers, That Is
The Latest Instruction From Economic Community Of West African States
(ECOWAS) This Oceanic ATM payment Center Will Send To You An ATM DEBIT
Card Which You Will Use To Withdraw Your Money In Any ATM Machine In
Any Part Of The World, So If You Like To Receive Your Fund In This
Way, Please Let Us Know By Contacting Us Back on the following
CONTACT: DR NELSON WILLIAMS
PHONE NUMBER: +229-97674044
And Also Send The Following Information As Listed Below.
1. Full Name
2. Current TellePhone
3. Delivery address
4.ATTACH COPY OF YOUR IDENTIFICATION/ If any available
We Have Been Mandated By The ECOWAS Parliament To Issue Out
$2.5million usd in your favour This fiscal year. Also For Your
Information, You Have To Stop Any Further Communication With Any Other
Person (S) Or Office(S) To Avoid Any Hitches In Receiving Your
Note That Because Of Impostors,We Hereby Issued You Our Code Of
Conduct, Which Is (ATM-202) So You Have To Indicate This Code When
Contacting The Card Center By Using It As Your Subject.
AS SOON AS I CONFIRM THE REQUIRED INFORMATION I WILL DIRECT YOU ON HOW
TO PROCEED ON IMMEDIATE DISPATCHMENT OF YOUR ATM CARD PAYMENT
MEANWHILE PLEASE REPLY to email@example.com
Rev Ray Mathins