fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Eric Yanick <email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 09:55:20 +0000
Subject: Get Back To me.
Thank you for accepting my invitation to connect,I am a business man
from Ivory Coast Africa,I am directly connected to local miners in my
community and they are looking for buyers/investors Gold Bar. I can
send you all their details and they are ready to work with each terms
and conditions, They have been mining for 3 years but no
improvement.They sell their products to white business owners in the
country for small cash because all the have to tell them is that itâs
very expensive to export and their are not enough buyers , These are
the complaints made to me by them , they currently have 500 kg gold
bars available with the following characteristics:
Commodity:Refined Gold Bars (AU)
Physical Form:Dore Bar
Purity & Fineness: 97.09% or better (23+ carats or better)
Origin:Cote dâIvoire, Africa
Destination: Buyer Destination
Quantity: 500 kgs
Price: $42 000 Usd (The price is negotiable )
Intermediate commission: $ 2000 USD/ kg
They agree to be paid after the second test and if the tests are
successful at the buyer's final refinery. If you are interested,then
please give me your email address so that they can send you an offer
or contact us.