fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear beneficiary," (this SPAM email was probably sent to thousands of people)
- "power of attorney" (with your bank details and a power of attorney form criminals sometimes empty bank accounts)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "SENATOR, SHEHU SANI" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 13:44:16 +0100
Subject: YOUR LONG AWAITED PAYMENT
I AM HAPPY TO ANNOUNCE TO YOU OF THE NEW YEAR RESOLUTION OF OUR GOVERNMENT FOR ALL
OUTSTANDING PAYMENTS. THAT YOUR DELAYED PAYMENT WHICH HAS BEEN IN SOME INVESTMENTS
ALL THESE WHILE WITH ONE OF OUR APPOINTED INVESTMENT BANKERS (UBA GROUP) IN BENIN
REPUBLIC , CHINA AND THE USA HAS NOW BEEN GIVEN FULL PAYMENT APPROVALS TO EFFECT
THIS PAYMENT TO YOU WITHOUT ANYMORE HITCH. YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED BY LAW TO MAKE
ANY UPFRONT PAYMENT AGAIN, IF AFTER CHECKING YOUR RECORD YOU HAVE PAID THE
NECESSARY AND COMPULSORY C.O.T AND CONTRACT ECOLOGICAL FEES. ,IF NOT WE WILL NEED A
POWER OF ATTORNEY TO ENABLE US WAIVE OUT OR DEDUCT SUCH FROM THE CAPITAL SUM ,AND
BALANCE WILL PAID TO YOU STRICTLY BY ATM PAYMENT.
HOWEVER, THE MAIN REASON FOR THIS COMMUNICATION TO YOU AGAIN IS THAT WE ARE WORRIED
WHY YOU HAVE NOT REPLIED OUR EARLIER COMMUNICATION TO YOU LAST YEAR. THUS, MR
PRESIDENT MANDATED US THIS NEW YEAR AND NEW MONTH OF 2022 TO MAKE SURE WE SORT OUT
THE PROBLEMS ON THESE PAYMENTS AND RELEASE THE FUNDS TO THEIR VARIOUS
ALSO, WE WANT TO BE SURE YOU ARE AVAILABLE FOR THIS PAYMENT AND TO AVOID ANYMORE
COUNTERCLAIM AND SOME CERTAIN ELEMENTS MAKING EFFORT TO DIVERT YOUR
KINDLY CONFIRM YOUR AVAILABILITY BY URGENT RETURN EMAIL OF THIS MAIL FOR US TO
SHORTLIST YOUR NAME AND INFORMATION FOR PAYMENT TO OUR APPOINTED INVESTMENT BANKERS
(UBA GROUP) IN BENIN REPUBLIC, CHINA, OR UNITED STATES.
SENATOR, SHEHU SANI.
CHAIRMAN FUND RECOVERING COMMITTEE ON
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.
Contact Email : email@example.com