fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "foreign remittance department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: ATM Card Lottery <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 06:36:06 -0800
Subject: Your MasterCard(R)/VISA Card Loaded with $15,500.000.00 USD Is Ready
Your MasterCardÂ®/VISA Card Loaded with $15,500.000.00 USD Is Ready
We hereby officially notifying you about the present arrangement to pay
you, your over due Winning Prize/inheritance fund which you could not
complete the process of releasing your transfer pin code through the
Digitized Payment System. and you have spent a lot of money and a lot of
time sending money to different people just to make sure you receive your
fund and after all your effort you received nothing. We have decided to pay
your funds through (ATM VISA CREDIT CARD) This arrangement was
initiated/constituted by the World Bank, United Nation, European Union,
African Union, together with Paris Club, due to fraudulent activities going
on within the world today.
The World Bank, United Nations, European Union, African Union and Paris
Club introduced this payment arrangement to enable our Contract ,Winning
Prize, inheritance beneficiary to receive their fund without any
interference. The ATM VISA Credit Card was contracted and powered by GOLD
CARD WORLD WIDE.
The ATM VISA CREDIT CARD is credited with the sum of$15,500.000.00 USD
(Fifteen Million Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars), it is already
loaded in the ATM VISA CREDIT CARD which you can use to access your fund in
any ATM Stand/location worldwide and remember that the maximum withdrawal
daily limit is Ten Thousand United States Dollars(US$10,000.00) we have
concluded the delivery arrangement with the below courier services
companies and their delivery time is stated below.
Note that you will be liable to pay the delivery fee of your ATM VISA
Credit Card with any of the above courier companies of your choice before
the delivery will take place to your destination address.
Kindly provide me with the below details in your response to this email and
let me know which courier company you would like us to use for the shipment
of your ATM VISA Credit Card to your destination home address.
1. Valid Delivery Address:
2. Full Names:
3. Phone Number:
CONGRATULATIONS IN ADVANCE.
Director Foreign Remittance Department
United Bank for Africa (UBA) Bank Benin Plc