fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "% commission" (Beware of any scheme that involves depositing checks or money orders or receiving wire transfers in your bank account and then wiring a portion of the funds somewhere, for a percentage of 5-15% of the total. Such offers are *always* fraudulent and you will be liable for the entire amount when the checks, money orders or wire transfers turn out to be fraudulent. Any money already forwarded comes out of *your* pocket then. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Hotmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Rasheed Abdul <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:27:03 +0100
Subject: Projects Funding.,
*I am an Investment negotiator with private individuals and top political
exposed persons, I have clients who are looking to fund Investment projects
of corporate organizations or well to do individuals, or those seeking
means of expanding/relocating business interest abroad in mega areas of
*It will be my pleasure to discuss with you if you have solid backgrounds
and ideas of making good profit in any viable businesses in your Country.
Our principal Investors are looking for projects to invest huge cash which
can be long and/or short-term projects but with good dividend AROI.*
*Do you have such projects? Are you looking for an Investor for your **project?
Do you know anyone whoâs looking for an investor for his/her **project? or
in need of international partners for mega projects/contracts funding or
loans with minimum interest rate? Please write to me for possible business
co-operation as we are open for discussions. *
*We also pay 1% commission to brokers, who introduce project owners for
finance or other opportunities. Please contact me on this direct email
(firstname.lastname@example.org <email@example.com>) should you
be interested or have capacity, I look forward for your possible
cooperation, Thanks for your reputable intentions to create a lucrative
*Engr, Rasheed Abdul.,*