fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Solis, William" <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 03:01:53 -0800
Subject: RE: 2022 UNPAID FUND RECOVERED LETTER FROM IMF
INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND (HQ1)
700 19th Street, N.W., Washington, D.C.
2022 UNPAID FUND RECOVERED LETTER FROM IMF.
In our efforts to foster global monetary cooperation secures financial
stability and facilitates individual and company economic growth. The
IMF through our international monitoring network has recovered your
UNPAID FUND $5.7m that has been on hold. We hereby advise you to
reconfirm To this office officially if you are the person that
instructed Mr.Smart Kevin from Canada to claim and receive the payment
on your behalf before we send your fund transfer instruction to
Citibank New York.
Please, Re-confirm as follows
(1) Your Full Name........?
(2) Full Residential Address: (P.O.BOX NOT ALLOWED)?
(4) Beneficiary Amount?
(5) Direct and Current Phone?
(6) Passport identification?
Please you are also required to clarify the following immediately:
1. IS Williams Rogers your local representative?
2. Did you broker your fund to one Mr. Smart Kevin of Canada to claim?
And receive the payment on your behalf?
3. Did you sign any âDeed of Assignmentâ in his favor, thereby making
him the current beneficiary with the following account details to
receive your fund?
Northwest trust Bank
One Oak brook Terrace, Chicago, Illinois USA,
6023-13 76ABA ROUTING NO: 171000152,
A/C NO: 12 49819
A/C NAME: Titan Erectors,
Gerard V. Radice/Konzeng Agent
Note: The above information are necessary to certify that you are the
rightful beneficiary of the said fund As soon as we confirm these
information as requested our paying Bank (CITIBANK New York) will
contact you for immediate payment.
Ms Kristalina Georgieva ,